The Slade family was merchants of Poole
and Newfoundland. John Slade of Poole established in Newfoundland in
the second half of the 18th century. The business was
originally headquartered at Twillingate, moving later to Fogo and
expanding north to Battle Harbour.
Robert Slade left John Slade & Company of
Poole in 1804 to establish his own business in Trinity, Newfoundland.
He bought a house there and leased a mercantile premises belonging to
John Jeffrey on the west side of the harbour near Hog’s Nose. By 1833
the Slade Plantation occupied large premises and wharfs on both sides of
Hog’s Nose, and at Maggoty Cove, which included a cooperage and a forge.
The company owned and operated a number of
schooners and was involved in the seal and salt fish fisheries. From
1809 – 1851, William Kelson managed the Trinity branch for Robert Slade
and wrote the most complete set of diaries to date.
In this section you can
read some of Kelson’s diary entries regarding shipbuilding that was
taking place in Trinity during that time period, as well as some
correspondence to and from Robert Slade.